My Power of Attorney

in Dundee City

The Dundee Health and Social Care Partnership is responsible for delivering person centred adult health and social care services to the people of Dundee. The Partnership consists of Dundee City Council, NHS Tayside, and partners from the third sector and independent providers of health and social care services.

One of the Partnership’s ambitions is to enable people to take greater control of their lives and make positive lifestyle choices that enhance their health and well-being. If you become unable to make decisions for yourself – because of illness or injury for example – no-one else can make those decisions for you, unless you have given them legal powers to do so.

Having a Power of Attorney let’s you choose someone you know and trust to make decisions for you about:

  • Your health
  • Your money and property
  • Both of these

Dundee citizens are encouraged to ‘Start the conversation’ with family or those close to them so as their wishes are respected if a time comes when they are no longer able to make financial or welfare decisions for themselves.

When you ‘start the conversation’ about future wishes, consideration should be given to any changes in your health and wellbeing. An Anticipatory Care Plan is about thinking ahead and understanding your health. It’s about knowing how to use services better and it helps you make choices about your future care. Many people with long term conditions or chronic health problems can benefit from having and Anticipatory Care Plan.

Your Anticipatory Care Plan is not legally binding in any way and it can be updated at any time to reflect changes in your thinking or circumstances.

Download the Brochure

Scotland-wide Resources

Alzheimer Scotland provides a wide range of specialist services for people with dementia and their carers. We offer personalised support services, community activities, information and advice, at every stage of the dementia journey.

Legal aid is help towards the costs of legal advice and representation, for those who qualify. It is designed to help individuals on low and modest incomes gain access to the legal system.

Find out more at

The Office of the Public Guardian supports and advises those assisting someone with mental incapacity. They can be contacted on 01324 678300. Their website offers a lot of helpful information.

A solicitor can help you put Power of Attorney in place. You can find a solicitor by contacting the Law Society of Scotland at

Solicitors for Older People Scotland (SOPS) is a group of solicitors dedicated to providing legal services to older and vulnerable people in a caring way. SOPS members are committed to providing Power of Attorney under the Legal Aid scheme to clients who qualify.

Find out more at